Monday, October 09, 2006

From Alpha to Beta: The Blogger.com Way


I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Blogger.com has upgraded its offer of free blogging sites. Granted it’s still at the beta mode, but the results of the additional flexibility as regards the ability to change fonts and layout, to add elements including photos, and instituting numbering for posts all add up to a rather professional-looking blog page, I would say.

Contrast for yourself: this page, the hardworking amateur, though not for the lack of trying, and the mirror site yonder (drum beat), the graceful pro. Granted that the content is important and it’s what sustains the success of a blog, one cannot downplay the significance of the attention grabber in the form of an appealing page layout.

This is really Advertising 101 where packaging comes first. In this age of instant gratification, the visitors must get the feel that they are treated to a visual magnificence such that they would make a split decision to linger on, thinking to themselves, “hey, this guy/gal is taking such trouble to lighten up his/her blog, maybe he/she does have something interesting to tell as well. Let’s give him/her the benefit of the doubt”.

To put in perspective, there are literally thousands, no, millions of bloggers out there, each spewing out their own rendition of cyber-columns on a regular basis. Yet there are only so many seconds in a day, and a big chunk of that is spent on making a real living. So realistically, one can only read about 3-5 blogs at any given time (I’m generalizing from my own blog reading capacity), which means there is a ring of truth to what was purportedly said by the CEO of Google, Eric Schmidt, "The average blog has one reader: the blogger".

Remember that famous prediction in 1943 by Thomas Watson, the former chairman of IBM, that there was a world market for, maybe at most, five computers? But look around you today, what do you see? I rest my case.

So on the tiniest likelihood that Mr. Schmidt too could err due to a momentary lapse of sanity (isn’t that what attending UC Berkeley would do to you as I have been told to have happened to me, in no uncertain term?), I’ll persevere so that I would not miss out the day when, say, more than five people, read my blog on a daily basis.

So, Blogger.com, let’s bring on the gamma and the other string of Greek letters all the way to zeta.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Testing

Anonymous said...

Finally, got contact with you ...commented earlier but click the wrong box ...and got erased

Say Lee said...

Hi Peng Leong,

Could you re-comment? Don't have to be word for word.

Anonymous said...

I left comment on your alpha version :)
Yes, using that as a "pilot" test is great before applying it here. The design is great.

Ah, I found another reliable host, 1and1. If you want to get a domain hosted and use wordpress, you can try it. I found it from a private forum, they are leaving good comments on this host. The cost is low, guess about $2+ a month, a piece of cake.

I asked Google if they support external domain name rather than using their .blogspot.com, they say no more. They had blogger plus account previously where you can host your own domain on Blogger, but they stopped it.

Blogging is addictive. The time spent on blog will only increase :))

Keng Hui

Anonymous said...

Thanks for informing me about Blogger Beta. I am going to add it into BloggingChannel. I have tested Blogger Beta, it is really good. And I developed a blog idea. Here is the test blog: The BuzzBadge!

Say Lee said...

Good for you, Daniel.

I think right now I'm contented with being a blogger and riding on the bandwagon of blogger.com.

It's all about control and perspective. Exchanges in the blogosphere is still a small facet of our lives. We still need to go out and interact in person, smell the roses, and help make this a better world for all.

Yes, Buzzbadge! Way to go, man.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Blogger is really a great service. Many big companies are using blogger's blog too. I like Blogger Beta.